This is Burton´s freestyle workhorse that you totally can consider even if you´re not much of a freestyler. The Malavita is trusted by a lot of pro and non-pro riders out there and has evolved over the last years to become one of the most selling bindings made by Burton. Burton itself has one of the best reputations in the industry and is tested and trusted by thousands, seasons after season! Take a closer look on this binding´s features with the Burton Malavita Review.
Burton Malavita Review
“Burton´s Malavita is freestyle focused but has enough response to really call the whole mounting your terrain park”
Burton has their own mounting system, called the channel. The EST version of their bindings are especially designed for that mounting system and combined, they give you the widest variety of how you can mount your board as well as the best set up to reveal the full flex of your board.
No park feature or obstacle is too big but in case you are just starting to get into jibs and jumps, it´s all-mountain versatility brings enough response to ride slopes and pow on the rest of the day! We will have a closer look on what you get for your dollars further down but as always, let´s see who the Malavita is for.
Who is it for?
The Burton Malavita goes well with everyone who mastered their first turns and likes some air time!
Get this binding if you:
Start getting into freestyle
- The Malavita has enough response for riding every terrain so if you feel like park in the morning and carving in the afternoon, that´s the one.
You really like freestyle!
- It is more responsive than a lot of other freestyle bindings which can be a huge advantage if you go big! Big kickers need big speed and you don´t want it to get wobbly before the big take off!
You want it a bit mellow and the whole mountain is your park
- The Malavita feels home on the slopes as well and is a bit softer than the Cartel for instance. A bit more surfy and bit more fun in case you spot kickers everywhere.
Consider a different one if you:
Just started snowboarding
- Unless you´re confident, this might a bit over the top. It will work for beginners as well but I´d say, go for something softer like the Custom! Easier to start with and easier on your wallet! Although, if you know you´re going to love it and where your journey leads you – go for it!
You like to stay on the ground
As always, this is just to give you an idea! I am more than happy to give you further assistance. Just drop a comment below this article with some information and we will find the right binding!
The features in detail
Like I mentioned, you can get the Malavita in two different models. The Re:Flex version fits on every board out there, the EST version only on the channel!
Medium FLEX of 4. Playful, forgiving and fun for freestyle sessions but enough response for all-mountain performance, too!
30% short-glass / nylon composite for a bit more tweak and pop.
- Fully cushioned EVA footbed with B3 Gel that stays soft even in the coldest temperatures.
- AutoCant footbed that automatically adjust the angle of your feet. That results in a more natural and comfortable stance and is easy on your knees.
- The EST version doesn´t need any material under your foot and therefore has more room for cushioning. That results in the more advanced SensoryBED footbed, includes B3 Gel as well.
- AutoCant footbed just like on the Re:Flex version.
- The Hinge, unique on the EST, for more pop!
The black/white coloured version of the Malavita comes with the winged highback. I never tried such a highback myself, but let me try to explain what it does: It ensures you are not “overpressing” – simply because it holds you back from leaning too far on tip or tail, on a nosepress for instance! Makes sense? 🙂
The canted highback design follows the natural stance of your legs for more comfort and control. Exclusive on the Malavita, you find the Heelhammock: Rubbery material wraps around your heel to lock in your boot, even if you need to ride with your straps a little more loose. Also works as a built-in suspension.
You can ride every Burton binding with 0° forward lean and it´s tool less adjustable through a little dial on the back.
Asymmetrical Hammockstrap which results in more lateral support on the upper side, an more medial support on the lower side. Similar to the one on the Genesis, it´s made of one piece so no stiches can be become loose and it´s super comfortable. The spine on the outside ensures immediate response!
Burtons FlexSlider pops the ankle strap out of your when you open them. That makes it much easier to get back in. You will love it!
Double Take Buckles Featuring Insta-Click – Faster engagement and therefore no more struggling to get to that first click! Helical teeth tighten you up faster! Hard to put into words, so check out the short clip below to understand this strong and quick system.
– Upshot –
kickass freestyle performance for every terrain
The Burton Malavita really covers a lot! It´s for people who spent more than a weekend on their boards every season and the versatility ensures everyone is happy – because you can´t really go wrong with a pair of Malavita. Click here to get your own pair!
Do you ride a pair of Malavita already or any other binding? Share your thoughts and experience in the comments below! And of course, if you have any further questions regarding gear – I am here and will get back to you in no time.
Like and share if you want and keep riding!